Tuesday, October 28, 2014

MINISTRY CORNER - LECTORS!



Holy Spirit opens up the Meaning of the Readings! 
Reflection by Phil Kelley on being a Lector
It was 1964 and I was 17, a freshman at St. Vincent’s College in Latrobe, Pa.  Like many Catholics away from home for the first time, the temptation not to get up for Sunday Mass was strong.  To combat this temptation I asked to serve as an altar server for the college chapel.  I did not know that the altar server was also the Lector.  In fact it was the first time for me that the priest wasn’t the one doing all the readings.   The priest asked us which one would be the reader?  The other boy said he didn’t want any part of public speaking. 

I can still remember the emotions running through me as I stepped up to the ambo.  I felt so close to the Word of God.  I could feel the expectations of the Mass attendees.  The desire to convey the meaning of the words was intense.   I felt so motivated to be a channel of that Word and I wanted to do a good job.  At the same time I knew that I wasn’t up there for me but to convey the Word of God to the people.   

Every time I proclaim today those emotions revisit me.  My desire is to pass on those emotions through my Readings even today.  To that end I spend time in prayer and reading and rereading the Word until the Holy Spirit opens up the meaning and intent of the Reading. 

Interested in talking with Phil about his ministry? Contact him at 858-9960 or ptkelley@comcast.net.  Is God calling you to become a Lector, contact Phil or Deacon Michael DeVivo at 347-7350 or gospamir@comcast.net.


No comments:

Post a Comment